Monday, May 19, 2008

Calamari, martinis, and Staunton’s finest

You know, I thought I'd have trouble adjusting to life in the South, but I seem to be doing just fine. I'm making friends, learning all about my new community, and generally loving it here.
For example, my new friend took me out to drink away any sorrows and show me downtown. It was a wonderful night that involved key lime martinis, too much wine, fried calamari (yeah, that's squid), and a ride home from a very sweet police officer. New friends rock. Throwing up squid does not.

When I woke up this morning, I felt my age. Old. Too old to party so hard and bounce back like I used to. My body hurt. My head hurt. And food was not an option. I slept away most of the day, to tell you the truth. It was easier than dealing with the actual hangover. I got up long enough to find Andrea and her husband had gone to get my car and had dropped it off along with the keys early early in the morning. When I woke up at 5 this evening, through the miracle of water and Advil, I felt wonderful and went out for coffee and gift buying. *grin* Starbucks is definitely a good cure.

I have so much to get accomplished these next couple of days between scrapbooking for my sister's open house and baking cookies and doing thank you and address change cards. I'm glad I'll be keeping busy, because I really want to get into a normal routine, but I won't be able to do that for another week at least. After that I'll figure it out.

Well, I need to see if I can get some sleep, even if I did sleep the day away.

Today's lesson: There's something to be said for those warnings about not mixing your liquors. And something very convenient about the location of sewer drains outside of bars.

No comments: