Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Another day, another country (or two)

Croatia:

It’s always a numbers game. I want to see as many countries as I can. I want to see as many places as I can.

So when the opportunity to drive through Bosnia-Herzegovina during our stop in Dubrovnik, Croatia came up, I jumped on it. It turned out to be the best excursion we could have chosen. A beautiful drive up the coast, a stop for a snack overlooking a bay in Herzegovina, a boat ride through a marsh delta in Croatia, and lunch by the river.

Since there really are no words, here are the best of the best of our pictures.

Here I am in Herzegovina. Another country down. And darn happy that I just got to have orange Fanta out of a glass bottle.



And Karalyn being dweeby while I’m trying to figure out how to set the camera so we actually show up in the photos.



Ah, here she is, looking carefree in a way I’ve never found possible for me.



There is a Croatian tradition that you offer your visitors a shot of brandy and a dried fig.

Here’s Karalyn with the brandy (rocket fuel, I tell you, and yes, she’s legal to drink in Croatia).



And biting a fig.



You can’t beat this view from our riverside restaurant.



Me again. I know exactly what’s going through my head at this moment.



“I hope my hat doesn’t fly off. Again.”

Today’s lesson: Sometimes you have to shut up and take a look at what’s surrounding you. I guess that’s a less demure way of saying you should stop and smell the roses.

No comments: